Friday, July 26, 2013

Carter YFA Rebuild

It has literally been years since I have rebuilt a carburetor, but I knew I had to do it before I could get the old girl started.  I didn't necessarily want to go with just any parts store's rebuild kit, because sometimes they are not the best quality.  I ended up going with a kit from Mike's Carburetor Parts out of  Rochester, Washington.  The guy who runs the business seems to really know his stuff, and he even had videos on YouTube detailing how to rebuild the Carter YFA.  The kit was $24.95, and was of very good quality.  I definitely recommend going to Mike for all of your carb needs!  His website is: http://www.carburetor-parts.com.

When it came to cleaning my carburetor, I decided that I would really like to soda blast it.  Unfortunately, I do not have a blaster or a large air compressor, so I started searching the net for a solution.  I came across an article on how to make a DIY soda blaster.  They recommended a larger air compressor than what I have, but I decided to try it anyway.  I initially tried a box of baking soda, but it was very slow and I used the box up in just a few minutes.  I found some extra large soda blasting media at Harbor Freight, but the smallest amount they had was a 50 lb. bag.  I went ahead and bought it and have to admit that it worked much better than the box of baking soda and was much cheaper in the long run.  My compressor is only 2HP and has an 8 Gallon tank, so I only did a small section at a time.  It did an amazing job!  The carb doesn't look as good as some of the ones I saw online, but it is definitely much cleaner!  I cleaned most of the internals with carb cleaner, and you want to be sure to rinse all of that soda off.  For info on how to make your own homemade soda blaster, check out this site: http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

Below are some before and after pics.  Sorry that the before pics are not very clear.  It was starting to get dark out when I took them.


Before 1

Before 2
After 1

After 2

No comments:

Post a Comment