Friday, July 12, 2013

Fresh Starts and Second Chances

Hello all,
  This blog is dedicated to my first car, a 1977 Ford Granada.  I still own this car and it has unfortunately been left sitting in my mother-in-law's garage for the past six or so years.  As I start working on it, I hope to post my progress here and share any valuable information that may help others.  Some may say, why keep and work on an old Granada? First off, let me give you a little background on my car.

  A friend of our family owned the Granada for years, and when my Mom started looking for a car, we found that he had decided to sell it.  It needed a few repairs, but was in pretty darn good shape at the time.  (Keep in mind that this was in 1990, and I was eight years old.)  My Mom was a homemaker and also worked on our family farm alongside my Dad and Uncle.  She didn't need anything super new, she mainly just needed something to drive to the store and to visit family in that wasn't a truck.  So my parents purchased the old Granada for $1000.  She served the family well for about 5 years, but was really starting to have some issues.  In about 1995, my Mom started working for a local organization called C.A.S.A (Care Assurance System for the Aging and Homebound), and really needed a more dependable vehicle to drive.  It was going to cost a bit to repair the old Granada, so my parents decided to buy another car.  One of my uncle's owned a body shop and ended up selling my Mom a 1990 Chevy Lumina that had been repaired in his shop.  We didn't really need the Granada any more, so my parents decided to sell it for $500.  For some reason, this really bothered me.  Up until this time I didn't think I had any real attachment to the car.  So, for whatever reason, I asked my Mom and Dad if there was any way that we could keep it.  My parents took this into consideration and a couple of days later asked if I wanted the car.  My initial reaction was "heck no!" because I didn't want that ugly car!  But the more I thought about it, I realized that I could have my own car at 13 years old.  So, I soon accepted the offer and haven't looked back.  By the time I was sixteen, I had it in pretty good running condition and even did my driver's license exam in it.   So between the sentimental ties to the car and my love of Fords, I had almost no choice but to keep it and fix it.

  Stay tuned for future posts on my progress!


This was right after I washed it and took it to my mother-in-law's six years ago.  It's not really that shiny, just wet.

1 comment: