Sunday, July 14, 2013

First Steps

Hello again,
  I went to my Mother-in-law's (Suzanne's) a couple of weeks back and started the steps to awaken the old Granada.  My first and main concern was that the engine had not been turned over at all in six years or more.  This can lead to the piston rings fusing to the cylinder walls and to a rebuild if it is bad enough.  So my first step was to make sure that the pistons would be able to move freely and with some lubrication when I was ready to turn the engine over.  This made me remember what an older friend of mine told me about this subject several years ago.  Basically you take the spark plugs out and squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders.  If you leave it in there for a few days or even weeks, then it will start to seep around the rings and make sure that they are free to move.  It also adds a little bit of initial lubrication since no oil has been pumped into the cylinders for several years.  So that is basically what I did.  I removed all six plugs from the old 250 six cylinder one at a time and used a two cycle oil measuring syringe to squirt the oil into the cylinders.  We'll see how it goes once I try to start her up!

My next concern was that I was unable to start the Granada six years ago before I moved it.  I had to winch it up onto a trailer to get it to Suzanne's house.  I narrowed it down to a fuel pump back then, but had no cash to fix it.  So I have now bought a new fuel pump for it at O'Reilly's Auto Parts and installed it.  It is super easy on an old car like this.  You have two fuel lines to disconnect, and two bolts to remove.  That is basically it.  And don't forget to install the gasket that comes with it!

Parts used:
Oil Mixing syringe
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hopkins-Mfg.-Corp.-10111-6-Oil-Mixing-Tool/22314667

Marvel Mystery Oil
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MVL0/MM13R/N0443.oap?..

Fuel Pump
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFP0/M16060/02535.oap?year=1977&make=Ford&model=Granada&vi=1129902&ck=Search_C0401_1129902_1312&pt=C0401&ppt=C0025

This is my Granada after six years in Suzanne's garage

No comments:

Post a Comment